Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Paris Burlap Placemats

IMG_1684
Burlap , stenciling, and anything French are some of my favorite things and in just one afternoon I was able to put together a set of six new placemats.  They couldn’t be easier to make and I didn’t have to break out my brushes, paints, or stencils!

IMG_1722
I found some burlap fabric that already had the type of stenciling that I love already printed on it.

  IMG_1656     IMG_1666
Joann Fabric’s sells a pre-stamped burlap with this French script, stamp, and postmark design on it for $9.99 per yard.  I quickly snatched up 2 yards of it  and an additional 2 yards of regular burlap for the back side (saves money because the regular burlap usually costs between two and five dollars per yard) and I grabbed a spool of matching thread and headed home and got busy.  These are so easy to make and they look so great on a table!  I used an existing placemat that I already had as a pattern and I used it to cut out 6 pieces of the printed burlap and 6  pieces of the regular burlap.  I laid them on top of each other and ran a stitch about 5/8 of an inch around the edges to attach them to each other.  Use your iron to make sure your placemats are nice and smooth. 
Then it is just a matter of pulling the threads around the out side edges to get that fringed look.  Don’t pull too hard and if a thread resists, carefully snip it off as close as you can without cutting the seam of the placemat. 
   IMG_1662     IMG_1665 to
I think that sewing the two burlaps together gives the placemats a nice weight to them. 

IMG_1670
I love them!
IMG_1669
These make such a quick and easy project.   Makes a great gift too!
IMG_1707


I didn’t include a shot of the back side of these placemats but don’t worry.  You will be seeing that back side soon.  It’s a blank canvas for stenciling and I am planning to to turn this set of placemats into a set of REVERSABLE placemats.  :)  Can’t wait to get started.

I have linked up to "Share Your Creations #49" over at Kristen's Creations. More creative projects to be found there!

I am also linking up to "Transformation Thursday #164" over at The Shabby Creek Cottage. Lot's of great transformation there too! 

And I am linking up to Fabulously Creative Friday over at Inspired Living with Jennifer Rizzo.  

11 comments:

Jo said...

Guess where I'm going first thing tomorrow :)

Jo

helen tilston said...

I love this and thank you for sharing the project and where you sourced the material

Helenxx

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Oh, these would look sooo nice on my kitchen table! Thanks for sharing the info!

Mary

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love 'em, Lisa! And, I have to go to Joann's so I will look for the stamped burlap again. I went looking for it specifically a few months ago and they didn't have any.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

These are so cute and fun!! Happy Wednesday! :) xo Holly

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Now, I have some of this fabric, so thanks so much for sharing this great idea with me. Thanks also for coming by for a visit.

Blessings,
Linda

The Sabbatical Chef said...

I hope Joann's in Durham has some left tomorrow morning! I love this, Lisa! You are so creative!

The Style Sisters said...

Suuuuper Cute!! I am going to get some for myself..I love burlap! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday on my blog and share you idea.
Karin

Triad said...

These look fabulous!~

Marisa said...

Those turned out beautiful! I need those for my sunroom. I found you on Kristen's Creations and I am a new follower.

Savannah Granny said...

I really love these placemats. I am heading over to Joann's with coupon in hand. Love this printed burlap.
Thanks for sharing. I also too a look at your eye chart. It is so neat.
Ginger