Sunday, August 28, 2011

Half Gallon Size Canning Jars

Pickles in Half Gallon Jar 014

Who even knew they made canning jars this big??!  I picked up a box of half gallon sized Ball canning jars the other day.  I found the giant half gallon sized jars at my local ACE Hardware.  (You can order them from Amazon.com too.)  I wasn’t even sure what I was going to do with them at first but I couldn’t leave them there.  I had never seen a canning jar that big before.  And now I have six .  I estimate that there is the equivalent of 4 pint sized jars in that one half gallon sized jar. 

Not sure what I am going to do with all six of them but I can’t wait to see the look on the face of my biggest pickle fan when I give him a jar this size filled with pickles! 

Pickles in Half Gallon Jar 025

Here is my jar collection.  The new gallon sized jars next to quart jars, the ever popular pint sized  pickle jars and then we have the quilted jelly jars and my favorite mini jam jars that I like to put my Jalapeno Pepper Jelly in.  I have a big bag of Jalapenos from the Farmer’s Market sitting in my fridge right now waiting for me to turn them into jam

So I have been thinking.  What else can I do with these gigantic jars?  Here is what I came up with so far:

1.  Luminaries at Xmas.  I think these will make great luminaries.  The bigger the better right?  Fill the bottom with white sand or I’ve even seen Epsom Salts used because the white crystals look like snow.  Add a small candle.  Maybe tie some holly on the outside. 

2.  Store food like sugar in the pantry.  Stay one step ahead of the %^&%$# pantry moths!  Dried beans, pasta, and rice.

3.  Soup storage in the refrigerator.   Glass is supposed to be safer than plastic for storing anything especially if it’s hot. 

4.  Make baking mixes up in advance.  I have a great recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes that I will have to post later this week.  It might be nice to have the mix pre-made and then only add the wet ingredients whenever the pancake mood hits.

5.  Baking Mix for gifts.  I’ve seen those premixed cookie  mix jars a lot around the holidays.

6.  Vase for flowers.

7.  Mix up cocktails like Margaritas, Sangria, or Cosmopolitans in advance and store in fridge.

8.  Moon Shine.  (Just kidding.  Not really.)

Got any other ideas on what to do with these monsters?  I would love to hear them.

10 comments:

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

I got a recipe for apple pie moonshine that those would be awesome for. The moonshine is awesome, but it will really but you on your arse in a heartbeat!

Gone Country said...

Love the giant jar and you've come up with some great ideas so far! How about making some sun tea in them?!

Your pickle fan is going to be surprised! Unless, of course, they read your blog, hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Well, but you COULD do moonshine if you wanted to. LOL Nice array of sized you have there. :-)

Stacey said...

Ha! I love the moonshine idea. :) I predict that you will have fun with them whatever you choose.

Stacey said...

Ha! I love the moonshine idea. :) I predict that you will have fun with them whatever you choose.

Balisha said...

I put a string of tiny white Chrismas lights in a big jar and put it on my porch. It looks so pretty at night.Balisha

Susan said...

Those are awesome jars! I like putting unexpected objects in jars....roasted peanuts are the first thing that comes to mind. With a nice fall ribbon tied around the neck. :)

Janette - The2Seasons said...

Fill them with wine bottle corks.

René said...

Well, number 7 might be an option here in NC ;) Those pickles look yummy!

Georgia Girl said...

i saw some at walmart recently...i need to get me a few to put my dry products in them...great size for that