Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pickled Radishes

 

Pickled Radishes 026

 Before you say “What?” or “No Way!”, I have to stop you and tell you to open up your culinary mind. :)  Yes, these are pickled radishes and they are delightfully delicious! 

I planted a row and a half of radishes in my garden this year even though I really don’t like radishes because a few weeks ago I saw a garnish made to look like those cute mushrooms that are red with white spots.  Do you know what kind I am talking about?  In case you missed it, here’s a link to my post called “Growing a Garnish” where I posted a photo of them.  Anyway, they were made out of a radish and so I decided to plant some so that I could make them myself.  And then yesterday as I was looking through some old magazines I came across a recipe for pickled radishes. 

Pickled Radishes 033

Radishes grow surprisingly fast.   The recipe intrigued me so out to the garden I went to pick enough for one batch and give the recipe a test run.  I also cut the recipe in half and it worked out perfectly fine.  I got three small mini jam jars out of the half recipe.

Pickled Radishes 018 Pickled Radishes 019

 

Here is the recipe:

Pickled Radishes

8 oz. radishes (about 22)

1 small onion, cut into thin wedges and separated (I diced mine)

1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 cup white vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt

Thinly slice your radishes and onion and mix them together in a bowl.  (About 2 cups)  Divide the radish and onion mixture into clean canning jars.  I like to use the mini jelly jars.

Mix together the sugar, white vinegar, and salt until the sugar and salt dissolve.  Then spoon the mixture and pour it evenly over all of your jars.  Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours before serving.  Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.   

Pickled Radishes 027

The recipe says that “ The radish mixture will have a very pungent aroma”.  Let me tell you, they are NOT kidding.  But don’t let that scare you away.  Truly, they are very tasty.   I will probably try they with some grilled meat off the BBQ and maybe try them with something Asian  Somehow I think they have an Asian flare to them.  Have you ever had pickled radishes before?  And please let me know if you have any ideas.  Thanks!

7 comments:

René said...

I have had lots of pickled things, but never radishes. This is a must try. Thanks Lisa!

Erin said...

I've eaten pickled radishes before and YUM! They were used in a summer slaw salad.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

What a great recipe! I'll be planting radishes this week! I'll be processing them for canning too!

Pam said...

Never heard of pickled radishes before, but I love the regular ones. Considering it's one of probably three vegies that I actually eat, that's a big deal. I'll have to try these.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of pickled radishes before. There's always room for trying new things though.

DI

Gone Country said...

I just found your blog from Blue Ridge Gal and I really like it! I signed up to Follow but I don't now if you'll see me or not. My Followers aren't showing up.

Pickled radishes! I must try this recipe. I've never had them but it sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Marjie Killeen said...

I love radishes and your blog is great. Love the photography!