Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Weed Whackers, Coffee Machines, and Crock Pots

Blueberry Tart 001    

It started a couple of weeks ago.  The “Weed Whacker” died the day before my husband had to leave for a two week business trip.  Our yard has a mowed yet shaggy around the edges look to it right now.

Then last Thursday, the DVD/CD player in my Mini Van (Yes, I am still driving a Mini Van…but I love it and it’s paid for.  That is a topic for another day.) ate my brand new, only listened to twice Jack Johnson CD.  And actually, it ate 6 of my favorite CD’s because the player is jammed and won’t open  up.  Now I love living here in Greensboro, but I have to say the radio stations here are the worst!!  I miss my CD’s.

Technically, my Crock Pot didn’t die but I did give it away to my daughter to take back to school with her now that she has a budding interest in preparing tasty food.  So I have been temporarily “crock-less”.

And on Saturday, my best friend, my Mr. Coffee Coffee Maker (dressed in Red) decided he didn’t want to make coffee for me anymore.   EMERGENCY!!

Blueberry Tart 005

Au revoir, mon ami.  It was fun while it lasted but you’ve been replaced.

Blueberry Tart 035

The red was a fun color but I never quite got used to the nuclear green, glow in the dark, clock on the front.  My new Mr. Coffee is sleeker and very handsome.  It’s black and stainless steel and the clock doesn’t look like it’s radioactive.  Which is a good thing.

And while I was in the black and stainless mood, I replaced my Crock Pot with this lovely model. 

And I almost forgot.  The kitchen faucet decided it was done corroding underneath the sink and decided to leak lots of water under the cabinet and onto the wood floors.  Luckily my 16 year old son brought that to my attention with “What’s up with all the water on the floor?”  A bucket and some beach towels, and a trip to Lowe’s later that evening and the next day their wonderful installation program had my new faucet installed.  That was a fun day!

I dread finding out how much it’s going to cost to fix/replace my DVD/CD player.  But it has to get fixed soon.  These Greensboro radio stations are making my ears bleed.  I know I am “old school”…I only have an i-Pod shuffle so that rules out hooking up a pod to my radio like my kids do in their cars. 

And now I only have “Weed Whacker” shopping to look forward to. :)

11 comments:

Tee said...

Wow! When it rains, it pours. Literally, it looks like. What you need is a portable XM radio. My guys are so addicted, they'd have to go into 12 step recovery if it went away.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I had a similar experience, only instead of my appliances dying, every single pen in the house died. Literally, every pen in the house died within a couple of days. This has never happened before in this household of 6 people over the 20+ years we've been a family. Weird.

Well, I like your new counter top appliances, and I'm sure you'll find a nifty new weed eater.

I couldn't live without music in the car, so I hope you get your cd player fixed soon. Keep in mind it might be cheaper to replace it than fix it.

:)
ButterYum
PS - what's wrong with minivans? It's like having a truck, only more versatile!

foxy said...

Oh my! When one starts, they all decide to go!

My Cuisinart coffeemaker decided to die on me recently - after only about a year's worth of use - so I took it back to Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday and they replaced it with a brand new one. SCORE!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oh my gosh, Lisa ~ you had a technological uprising going on over at your house! Once one thing goes it seems to start the ball rolling. I remember having that happen earlier this year when my dryer decided to die, then something else broke and I told my hubby we needed to get the heck out of that house before things got worse! : ) Love the new "members" of your kitchen family. They do look so sleek and new.

Lynn said...

Don't ya hate it when good electronics go bad!?!?! I'd die without my first cup of coffee!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Coffee, what a handsome dude... I wonder if he saw me winking at him.

You know... when one thing goes on the fritz everything else has to be a copycat and follow suit.. ugh.

My CD player in my SUV has not worked properly in months and months... makes my CDs skip and hop all over the place. I think it needs to be cleaned or sumpin'. hee hee

Di
(Hubby replaced or weed eater about 2 months ago)

René said...

You are right about the radio stations here in G'boro. We stopped subscribing to XM last month and now I keep the radio turned off. Did I miss something? I thought you lived in Siler City.

-Rene

Acanthus and Acorn said...

This has been the story around my house too, only with one of our cars!

Love your new kitchen items...I have the same crock pot and coffee canister!!!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Weed whackers, coffee machines, and crock pots . . . OH MY!!!

Sounds like your small appliances must have been planning a mutiny of sorts. Isn't it funny how those things all go at once, or all "leave" the house in some way, at once.

I'm right there with ya about the mini-van, Lisa. I drove one up until 3 years ago and LOVED it! We decided to go the mini-SUV route (Pilot), and it's okay, but I do miss my Odessey.

Hope you get our CD's out soon, and that your end of week is better than the last couple weeks :o)

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Melanie said...

You poor thing! When it rains it pours! I have a Keurig and it is worth every dime. I love coffee and I like having on cup made at a time. They are pricey but worth it.