Friday, July 16, 2010

Mexican Pinwheels

Mexican Pinwheels 004

Our Bunco party last night was a success! The Cherry Firecrackers were also a big hit. We served Taco Salads and we purchased the large tortilla bowls that the restaurants serves the salads in from our local Mexican restaurant and while we were at it we purchase some of their salsa, guacamole, and chips. With a big platter of lettuce, grilled chicken that I marinated and grilled earlier in the day, and every possible Mexican salad topping, everyone was able to build their own amazing Taco Salad.

I also made a platter of the Mexican Pinwheels. These are not new but I haven’t had them or seen them at a party in years so I thought I would give them another go for our Bunco party. We did a Mexican theme and these fit right in. This time I thought I would try out some new tortilla flavors that Mission Tortilla Wraps has come out with. In the past I have always made these with plain white tortillas so this time I thought I would get more colorful and I used the Mission Tortillas in Spinach and their new flavor called Jalapeno Cheddar. Both are wonderful. Serve these with Salsa and guacamole if you have it. These were a big hit!

Mexican Pinwheels 013 Mexican Pinwheels 007

Mexican Pinwheels

2 (8 oz.) packages of cream cheese (I use Neufchatel)

1 (1oz.) package Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix

Freshly cut chives ( I snipped mine very finely with kitchen scissors)

1 package flour tortillas (Mission Tortillas makes several colors and flavors)

1 4 oz. jar diced pimentos, drained and blotted dry with paper towels

1 4 oz. can diced green chilies, drained and blotted dry with paper towels

1 (2 1/4 oz. ) can sliced black olives, drained and blotted dry with paper towels.

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Mix cream cheese, ranch dressing mix and chives well. (I used my mixer.)

Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the tortillas.

Sprinkle equal amount of remaining ingredients on top of the the tortillas and cream cheese mixture.

Roll up tortillas tightly.

Wrap with plastic wrap and chill a minimum of 2 hours before serving. Overnight is fine. They taste better!

Remove plastic wrap and cut rolls into equal pieces – discarding the ends.

Serve with salsa and enjoy!

Mexican Pinwheels 016

I am linking up to Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum. Great list recipes there today!

And be sure to stop by Whistlestop Cafe Cooking for their Friday Favorites feature today!

13 comments:

Lynn said...

Looks like perfect party food! I bet you all had a great time!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Hey Lisa! Glad to hear your Bunco Girls had a great time. How could they not!?

I haven't done those pinwheels in forever. I used to make them all the time. Hubby loved them. Mmmm, maybe I'll treat him with some this weekend and an icy cold beer.

Have a fabulous Friday!

Anonymous said...

My sister used to make something like these and they were great! Thanks for the recipe, my son always has a bunch of hungry teens over ~ they would love these! xo

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Thanks so much for the recipe. These look great!

Joyce said...

I love these as they are always tasty and the first things to fly off the plate at a party.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

The pinwheels look wonderful.. Must pass since they are loaded with carbs, but sure wish I could snack on a few.

Di

Ann said...

Yum. I am going to take those to my next Pokeno game.

SimplySandi said...

These are my favorite. Wish I had one (some) now.

foxy said...

Man, those look great! Makes me want to have a Cherry Firecracker and Mexican Pinwheel party this weekend!! :)

Karen said...

Your Mexican pinwheels look yummy. I'm always looking for make ahead ideas and bonus points if they are easy too.

micah said...

YUM - my mouth is watering!

Melanie said...

They sound delish and the party sounds like fun!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Mmm - I'm going to have to try this recipe. I love the festive colors and flavors. Nice mix of tortillas too.

:)
ButterYum