Monday, November 2, 2009

Scored a New Floor Lamp Today

Well, I scored big today at the Goodwill. We need a new floor lamp in our office. There is just not enough lighting in there. We turned our living room into an office and we desperately need better lighting in there. It is the only room on the lower level that does not have some sort of overhead lighting. We really need to bite the bullet and hire an electrician to come out an install an overhead light or chandelier in the middle of the ceiling of that room. In the meantime we have been limping along on the world’s ugliest 1980’s Brass floor lamp. I am so delighted to put it out in the trash for the week. It is not even worthy of going to the Goodwill or having a new paint job. Believe me, I thought about painting it. But the thing is it buzzes when you turn on one of the two switches it has. Buzzing cannot be good. I don’t want to pass along a hazard on to some unsuspecting Goodwill shopper who would thing she scored big until she got it home and it buzzed when she plugged it in. Kind of like me when I brought home that chair that I did not know belonged to a smoker. BUYER BEWARE!

Goodwill lamp 009

Yesterday it was cold and rainy all day long and my plan was to go out and purchase a new floor lamp. That never happened. And now today I know why. There in the back of the Goodwill was standing a great looking floor lamp! It was waiting for me. It had some amber colored glass bauble danglies (a new word that I just made up :)) but it was sturdy and looked to be in perfect condition. Even the color was right. And you know that I am not afraid of the Spray Paint but seriously this already had that oiled bronze finish that I like. A mere $15.00! Sold!

Goodwill lamp 002

Next stop was Target to look at lampshades and I was lucky once again and found the perfect Burlap/Linen looking shade. The shade actually cost more than the lamp at$19.99. I brought my new things home, gave it a good scrubbing, and the amber glass danglies had to go. And here it is! It should work perfectly in our office next to my Vintage Typewriter Keys artwork. The electrician still needs to be called but this will get us by until then in a much more up to date way. So the total price tag: $35.00. Not bad!! I am going to add Today's Goodwill Score to Between Naps on the Porch for METAMORPHOSIS MONDAY. I am also posting on The Thrifty Decor Chic so stop by and see what other deals and transformations have taken place today!

Goodwill lamp 011

I am linking this post to Furniture Feature Friday over at Miss Mustard Seed's blog. Stop by there to see other faboulous furniture and house !

16 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Nice! I just saw those lampshades at Target on Saturday {I was buying lampshades myself}. Not a bad price for new and with the popular burlap/linen look!

Natasha in Oz said...

That looks really good. I wish I was creative like you!
Best wishes, NM.

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Great buy. I like the danglies! To each her own. Make it a great week.

Kammy said...

Very nice score !
Kammy

Karen said...

I like the danglies, too! Adds character and makes it unique.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Wow, lot's of Danglies fans out there! One of the Danglies was missing when I bought it so it was best to remove the leftovers!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So cute - I love those crystals!

XOX
Jen

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I love the new lamp, I would have left it the same as well, very pretty and what a good fine....

Danielle and Clint said...

Great find! I am not a fan of the Danglies. I think leaving them on would give a much different style. You did good.

Roeshel said...

Great find! I love it! Looks perfect with your art (which I love too!).

Have a great day!

Roeshel

Stacey said...

Lisa, your lamp and the artwork are just perfect!

Thanks for your sweet note this morning. :)

Karen said...

Score! I'm glad you removed the danglies (I'm sure that's a technical term.) Maybe you can hang them on your Christmas tree. LOL.

I love your home crafted Pottery Barn look-a-like art too.

Anonymous said...

Score!!!! Love it and I loveeeee your vintage keys. Looks perfect~

F.T.M. said...

I LOVE your blog and all your crafty ideas. I'm kind of a "crafty-impaired" person and am trying to get better about home decor and seeing something in "nothing" now that I quit my job to stay home with my baby. I love getting inspiration from your site. Having said that, I'm following you and gave you an award on my page and added you to the Blogs I Love section of my page. Keep up the great work!!

Stop by my page to see your award.

http://adventuresofa1sttimemommy.blogspot.com/

Dianna said...

Recycling is fun and rewarding. It get's the creative juices flowing.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What a great lamp! And $15 is a good price for it. Much better than a 1980's brass lamp that buzzes...yikes. I, too, made the mistake of buying upholstered furniture that belonged to a smoker. I tried everything to get rid of the smell and ended up throwing it away. Lesson learned. Thanks for linking up and sharing your find with us!