Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pine Nut Noodle Salad



What a weekend. It is our daughter's first year of college and she officially a student at the University of North Carolina. And we moved her into her minuscule dorm room yesterday. Of course it rained most of the way there and the parking lot in front of the dorm was crazy busy with kids and their parents unloading all of their stuff. But we got lucky because we got most of her stuff out of the van before the sky opened up. Somehow all of her stuff fit and once we got unpacking and found a home for everything her little dorm room started to brighten up. She has a great roommate that she met online on a roommate finding board. I predict they will have a great year together and probably become life long friends. I hope she is lucky in that way as I was. I am still friends with many of my college friends and former roommates.

After all the unpacking, we decided to get some lunch. So we walked over to Franklin Street to a cute restaurant called Spanky's. My husband had a great burger, the new college student ordered a club sandwich, our high school student son had chicken fingers and french fries, and I had one of the best salads that I have had in a long time. It was called a Pine Nut Noodle Salad. It was a winner! I am hosting Bunco at my house this week and I am planning on recreating it for the party. Here is the recipe I am going to use:




Pine Nut Noodle Salad


1 large container of Spring Mix Greens from Costco
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
3 Tbsp. sun dried tomatoes, chopped
4 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 Cup Feta cheese crumbles
8 oz. linguine, cooked, cooled
4 grilled chicken breast, chopped (marinate in olive oil and lemon juice for more flavor)



Lemon Basil Vinaigrette Dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. dried basil
salt and pepper



In a dry pan on the stove top, toast the pine nuts till golden brown but be careful not to burn them. Assemble the Spring Mix Greens on a big platter. Top with the sun dried tomatoes, and the Roma tomatoes. Roughly chop the linguine noodles and add to the salad. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Top with the Feta Cheese and sprinkle with the pine nuts. (Optional: add the grilled chicken breasts.)



I will let you know how it turns out and if I have to tweak the recipe in any way I will let you know later this week. I will also post a photo after I make it. So, hosting Bunco this week will make my week hectic but will also take my mind off of the fact that our family foursome is now down to a threesome if you don't count the dog. :)

1 comment:

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I'm going to give this a try tonight with a bunch of bagged spinach I need to use up! Thanks!